It's going to feel like it's over 100 degrees outside this weekend—making it a great time to see a movie. Here are Patch reviews of five summer films that are showing locally. For showtimes at the Rialto in Westfield, the AMC Loews Mountainside, the Cranford Theater, AMC Aviation or Union Theaters, visit here. For showtimes at Clearview's Beacon Hill Cinema 5, Clearview's Millburn Cinemas, the Maplewood Theater or Jersey Gardens, visit here.
- "Magic Mike" is drawing crowds of female fans to theaters all across the country. But our reviewer didn't care for the film—and not for the reasons you might think. Check out our review here.
- "Katy Perry: Part of Me" chronicles the challenges of the star's 2011 California Dreams world tour and interweaves biographical segments with Twitter and Youtube shout-outs from her legions of fans. Tweens everywhere love it. Check out our review
- "The Amazing Spider-Man" reboots the 10-year-old franchise after the debacle that was Spider-Man 3. But can the new cast and new director (the fittingly named Marc Webb) deliver where Sam Raimi and Toby Maguire faltered? Check out our review
- "Brave" is the first film from Pixar with a female protagonist. Our reviewer said it is a movie well worth seeing, even if only to celebrate a positive and complex portrayal of a mother-daughter relationship. Check out our review
- "Ted" is a raunchy and vulgar new film in which a plush teddy bear comes to life and shares some pillow talk. Our reviewer said it was also very funny. Check out our review
So what films have you seen? What's your favorite summer movie so far? Let us know in the comments section below.