Democrats Win Union County Freeholder Race
According to Union County, 154,144 were cast.
In the race for Union County Freeholders, unofficial results show Democrat incumbents Angel Estrada and Christopher Hudak are returning to the county post along with newcomer Democrat Vernell Wright.
Estrada of Elizabeth has served nearly 12 years on the freeholder board while Hudak of Linden has served for about a year. Wright of Union is a retired public school prinicpal who will be new to the board that has executive oversight over county government.
Together the Democrats earned about 99,000 votes according to unofficial results released by Union County Clerk's Office Tuesday night:
- Estrada earned 32,560 votes or 21 percent
- Hudak earned 33,165 votes or 21.5 percent
- Wright earned 33,372 votes or 22 percent
Their Republican challengers earned about 54,000 votes. It has been about 15 years since a Republican has had a seat on the county board.
- Andy Smith of Summit earned 27,635 votes or 18 percent
- Edwin Ortiz of Elizabeth earned 27,147 votes or 17.6 percent
For the full list of election results released by Union County, click here.