Welcome back, Patch Blogger!
Memorial Day Parades and a German "Fruhlingsfest"
Five things you need to know today, Friday, May 27.
About this column: "5 Things You Need to Know Today" is a daily look on the blips we think belong on every resident's radar. It runs weekdays.
- Celebrate Memorial Day in Clark and Garwood. Clark's parade is on Memorial Day, Monday, May 30 at 9:30 a.m. and honors Clark resident and Purple Heart recipient Marine Sergeant Michael Brattole, who will be in the parade with some of his fellow marines who served with him in Afghanistan. Garwood will participate in Cranford's parade also on Monday, which begins at 9 a.m. at the Cranford Community Center, followed by the annual reception at the Knights of Columbus in Garwood.
- The three-day Watchung Stables 78 Annual Spring Troop Horse Show begins today at 4 p.m. at Watchung Stables. The show continues tomorrow and Sunday, May 28 and 29, beginning at 8:30 a.m. Troopers age nine and older will compete in various events and Saturday attendees will be treated to a performance by the mounted drill team. For more information go to http://ucnj.org/parkeventssite/.
- St. Agnes Catholic School in Clark is the venue for “Viva Italia,” the 2011 Reverse 50/50 Raffle and Buffet Dinner fundraiser tomorrow evening at 7:00 p.m. Each $100 ticket is a raffle entry, plus it admits 2 adults for a full, traditional Italian dinner buffet and dessert. Relax and join St. Agnes for a night in Italy, plus a chance to win big. Tickets are on sale in the St. Agnes parish office.
- Come to the Deutscher Club on Sunday, May 29 for “Fruhlingsfest.” This German Spring Fest will be held from noon to 6 p.m. and is open to all. Entertainment will be provided by The Bud Gramer Orchestra and German and American food and drinks will be available. Admission is $5; kids under 12 are free.
- Clark Public Library will be closed Saturday, Sunday and Monday, May 28 through May 30, in observance of the Memorial Day holiday. The Garwood Library will be closed on Memorial Day, Monday May 30.